Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Turkey Meatballs and Zucchini

A friend of ours has a food blog and he shared this recipe for Meatballs and Zucchini. I was hesitant as I had never made meatballs without some sort of tomato sauce but since the author is a wonderful cook I figured I would give it a try. The results were not the prettiest however they were delicious. The only change I made was using ground turkey rather than beef. Also, if you like food salty you may want to add some more. I thought it tasted perfect however there were eaters in my house that needed to add a little salt.


2 kilo(2.2 lbs) Zucchini, cubed (1/2 inch cubes)
2-3 Tbls. Oil
6 Cloves Garlic, halved
1 Large Onion, diced
1 kilo(2.2 lbs) Ground Turkey
3 Eggs
Parsley
1 tsp. Oregano
Pepper
Salt
1 C. Water

Salt the cubed zucchini in a colander and let sit for at 30 minutes. Wash the zucchini and let sit.
In a pot heat the oil and brown the garlic. Remove the garlic from the oil and add the onion. Saute until soft. Add the zucchini and cook covered for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients into the meatballs. Add the water to the zucchini. Drop in 1 inch meatballs and cook covered on low for 1/2 hour. Add in the browned garlic and let cook uncovered for another 30 minutes until the liquid is reduced somewhat.

No comments: