Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fruit Roll Ups

I would like to welcome all my new readers. Feel free to "Follow" the blog or sign up for RSS feeds. Of course as always all comments and suggestions are welcome.

I found this recipe for Fruit Leather and thought it would be a good snack since my kids love Fruit Roll Ups, Gushers and all the dried fruit sugary snacks. It was very simple to make and very tasty. That said we found it hard to peel the fruit off the paper which could be the brand of parchment paper I use. I know the recipe already says this but I am going to reiterate- take notice of how even the fruit is on the cookie sheet before you bake it as this will make a big difference in the outcome.

Strawberry Fruit Leather:
3 Cups Strawberries or 1 box
1 Tbsp Honey

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Remove the stems from the strawberries and rinse.
Place the strawberries and honey in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the mixture on to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spread with the back of a spoon or spatula in a large rectangle making sure that the mixture is completely even.
Bake for 2-3 hours (or until it’s dry and not sticky to the touch). Remember, cooking times will vary depending on how thick you spread your mixture and how much water (juice) is naturally in the fruit. *Every oven is different, so the cooking time maybe less then 2 hours if your oven tends to be hot. Allow to sit and cool at room temperature. It takes several hours for the fruit to soften up (when you first take the leather out of the oven the edges will be a bit dry and crispy, but if you allow it to sit overnight it softens up nicely). Cut with a knife or pizza cutter into strips or use scissors, keeping the paper on, and then roll the leather into “roll ups”.

4 comments:

אנט פרידמן said...

Wow! Arica - this has brought things to a whole new level! Not sure if I'm ready for this one. :-)
I made the chicken fingers last night. 17 year old said they were weird, 15 year old was indifferent, 12 year old wouldn't taste them. I loved them and I usually don't like chicken breast as I find it too dry. Oh yeah Neil liked them too!

Arica said...

Yeah Annette this one kind of scared me! If it hadn't been so simple and I hadn't had a box of strawberries in my fridge that were about to go bad I don't know if I would have tried it but it really was easy.
I am sorry your kids didn't love the chicken fingers. Maybe they need a good dipping sauce? I am glad that at least you and Neil liked them-it wasn't a total loss! Thanks for the input!

Anonymous said...

Who knew you could make this at home? Amazing!

Arica said...

Not sure it is something that I would make on a regular basis however it was fun and good. An on occasion recipe.