Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oat Apple Sauce Muffins


In my quest for healthy breakfast options I found this recipe for Oat Apple Sauce Muffins. They weren't too sweet and had a subtle flavor but my husband and I enjoyed them. The kids were not as excited about them as we were but they did try them, which is a step in the right direction.

Here's my edited recipe:

1 C. Buttermilk (or Buttermilk Substitute which is what I used)
1 C. Rolled Oats
1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
1 Tbls. Ground Flax Seed
1/2 C. Applesauce
1 Egg

Place oats in a small bowl, pour in buttermilk. Let sit for two hours at room temperature. Preheat over to 375. In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and flax seed. Stir in oat/buttermilk mixture, applesauce and egg; mix well. Pour batter into lined or greased muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean.

No comments: