Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

Well I finally found a good cereal alternative that everyone in my house likes. The question is can I keep up with demand? I made Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins based on this recipe. I changed the flour so it uses mostly whole wheat flour. I also switched the brown sugar to silan and used a little less oil although in retrospect I am not sure why I didn't just use applesauce. I guess I was having a bad day as I also forgot to throw in a teaspoon or 2 of ground flax seed, both of which I would do next time.


1 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 C. Flour
3/4 C. Oatmeal
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 Egg, beaten
3/4 C. Skim Milk
1/2 C. Silan
1/8 C. Oil
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 C. Blueberries, fresh or frozen

Combine flours, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl combine egg, milk, silan, oil and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients mixing until just combined and lumpy. Fold in berries. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with pam. Fill cups 3/4 the way full. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes testing if they are done with a toothpick.

1 comment:

אנט פרידמן said...

Hi Arica, haven't tried these, but I did make the fruit roll ups yesterday. Unfortunately I must not have spread it evenly because the sides got burned. The middle part was good, though. Today I made homemade granola bars. They also got burnt! My daughter thinks it's the chocolate chips - we bought a different brand than we usually do. Not sure, but I will try this recipe again with the usual chocolate chips and less of them because i think it has potential for a good healthy snack. Here it is if you're interested: http://midwestmamainisrael.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/chewy-granola-bars/